If in a previous post we learned to differentiate silk from satin, today it is the turn to know the differences between natural and artificial silk. Since many times we find sellers who claim to market silk scarves or silk garments, when the truth is that sometimes these products are made with synthetic or artificial fabrics that have little to do with the original silk and the many advantages and properties of natural silk.
Characteristics of natural silk
To recognize silk fakes and the differences between natural and artificial silk, the first thing to know are the characteristics of the original silk. And for this, nothing like holding in your hands one of our silk scarves, or any other garment made with this natural fiber.
Natural silk is a smooth fabric, with a soft and shiny surface, which conveys a sense of luxury. Although it has a higher price than other synthetic or more common fabrics due to the process necessary to obtain silk, nowadays the price of silk products is very affordable, with a great quality-price ratio.
Some of the most remarkable properties of silk are:
- Hypoallergenic and anti-mite fabric. It does not produce odors or absorb dust, does not damage sensitive, dry or irritable skin.
- It breathes naturally and prevents overheating.
- Regulates body temperature, has an insulating effect, which helps maintain body temperature.
- Does not release particles or substances that can damage the respiratory tract.
- Pleasant sensation of softness, which relieves the nervous system and makes us feel better.
- It is the finest and lightest natural fiber in existence.
- Silk is naturally stable, resistant and durable.
Tips to differentiate natural silk from artificial silk
One of the big differences between natural and artificial silk is its price. Since a quality fabric, made in a natural way, cannot be cheap or resemble that of a synthetic fabric that tries to simulate its characteristics. Therefore, if a silk garment is strangely cheap, you are very likely to find yourself in front of a fake. Although, as we said, silk fabric is no longer associated with a luxury only affordable for a few, and an example is found in our natural silk scarves.
- As we said, natural silk regulates body temperature, so in contact with a person, this natural fiber acquires almost immediately the temperature of your body. This does not happen with artificial silk, which is much colder and harder.
- Although natural silk wrinkles, when we compress this fabric, we observe that very soft folds are formed, which are easy to smooth. Artificial silk, on the other hand, wrinkles much more and does not straighten as easily. In fact, they are sometimes almost impossible to straighten even with an iron.
- The edges of natural silk garments also have a great fluidity, which does not interrupt the pleasant feel of the rest of the fabric. Whereas artificial silk products may have heavier, “rougher” edges that do not allow the natural drape and flow of this type of fabric. The drape of natural silk will always be more beautiful and delicate.
- Quality silk burns slowly, leaving in its wake ash and the smell of burnt hair. Artificial silk burns quickly, leaving a kind of hardening pellets.
The natural characteristics of silk make this material difficult to counterfeit, since there are many properties that should coincide to obtain a product of the same quality.
In Hamzah we bet on natural silk to offer our customers a product with which they can enjoy all these properties while wearing a unique foulard of exceptional quality.