The trend of wearing silk scarves brings us a lot of options and ways to wear a scarf on your head. Whether for special occasions or for everyday wear, scarf hairstyles allow you to style your outfits, add a touch of colour to your looks and change the typical loose or ponytail hairstyle.
Here are some of our favourite ideas on how to wear a headscarf in different ways.
How do you wear a headscarf?
There are so many ways to wear a headscarf. Here we have compiled some of them so that you can combine our silk headscarves in a thousand and one ways.
Pirate Style Scarf
In the 2000s all the pop stars wore them, and we all thought they were the coolest. So if you loved this trend, you’re in luck, because this fashion is back with a vengeance.
Putting on your headscarf in pirate style is very simple.
The first thing you need to bear in mind is that for the pirate look you should ideally use a large square headscarf, 80 x 80 cm or larger.
- Fold it in half and form a triangle. The wide part is the part that will go over the forehead and the ends are towards the back.
- If the scarf is too big, let the end coming from the forehead pass through the nape of the neck under the ends where we will tie the knots.
- Knot at the nape of the neck with the two ends of the triangle. The excess corner should be left on the inside.
You can make a slight variation on the pirate style by tying the knot at the side instead of at the nape of the neck:
Here you can see a couple more styles of what it looks like:
Diadem Style with Loose Hair
Making a headband out of a silk scarf is super simple and cool. It’s a very comfortable way to keep your hair out of your face and to give a fresh and bohemian touch to your look.
All you have to do is follow these steps:
- If you use a large square scarf, make a triangle out of it and fold it into a strip.
- Bring half of the scarf to the front and the ends to the back.
- Knot the ends at the nape of the neck to ensure that the hairstyle is securely tied back.
Headband style with hair up in a bun
If instead of wearing the headscarf with your hair down you want to wear it with your hair up, this variation of the headband style is ideal:
- Make a bun with your hair as high up as you can, use a hair tie in the same colour as your hair to hide it. If you want, you can leave two small fringes in front.
- With the scarf folded as above, drape it over your forehead, with the ends of the scarf facing backwards underneath the bun.
- Tie the ends together and place the knot wherever you prefer. You can put it on the back of your neck, on one side, or if you prefer, you could do it the other way round and have the knot on your forehead.
Pigtail and Bow Tie with Scarf
Another ideal hairstyle with scarves, or at least one that we love, is the ponytail style:
- Make a bun at the bottom of the head, and in the last twist, instead of pulling out all the hair, make a balloon out of it. If you want, you can leave two strands in front to give it a more feminine look:
- With the scarf folded into a band, we pass it under the bun with the ends facing upwards:
- And finally, we knot it under the bun:
- Once at the top, cross the two ends and lower them again:
Making a turban out of a silk scarf
There are many ways to wear a headscarf as a turban. On the internet you will find all kinds of tutorials that will help you to do it without any problems. Search on Pinterest, Youtube or Tik Tok to become a pro. In this video from Diez Minutos Magazine they show you seven ways to wear a turban step by step.
The turban scarf is a great way to protect your head from the sun in summer. Style your bikini look with a matching scarf.
- Fold the scarf in half to form a triangle.
- Drape it around your head and leave the point of the triangle on your face.
- Join the ends of the scarf together and tie a knot with them at the front.
- With the end you haven’t caught yet, pull it back and hide the knot at the back.
- Take the ends again and bring them back, tie a knot again.
- Hide the ends of the knot under the scarf.
As you can see the scarves will allow you to make a lot of different hairstyles and looks. And the best of all is that these accessories are super versatile. It is one of the most multi-purpose accessories, because besides wearing it on your head, you can wear it around your neck, as a belt or even make a garment out of a big scarf.
What kind of scarf hairstyle suits you best?
If you want more, you can’t miss the post of 5 ideas of hairstyles with scarves for this summer.